Monday, April 30, 2007

First Impressions

This is my initial post to our web log, and you’ll quickly see my style is different than Stephanie’s. I’ve promised her not to be overly cynical or profane--so as not to sully the spiritual nature of our quest to adopt a son. Still, I expect even a cleaned-up version of my random thoughts will offend some… perhaps amuse others. If you count yourself in this first group consider yourself warned.

It’s our first morning in Oskemen, Kazakhstan. The city is in the uppermost northeast corner of the country, near it’s boarder with Russia, China and Mongolia. I’m listening to Ray LaMontagne’s album, ‘Till the Sun Turns Black as we prepare to make our first visit to the orphanage (baby house they call it). The music is a perfect soundtrack for the melancholic tenor of the city, and I’m so grateful to Nick Greiner for his referral (and Bill Samson for seconding the endorsement).

Being here reminds me how much for which we’re to be thankful. The apartment building would pass for a Hells Kitchen tenement. I’m afraid to let my kids in the elevator or outside. The smell of diesel fuel and burning garbage mix in a way that coats your throat, so you’re not sure if you’re getting sick or if it’s just the poor air quality.

Still, the apartment itself belies the building and neighborhood: hardwood floors, fairly clean and sufficient amounts of hot water. With a bit of luck, we’ll get upgraded to a more modern apartment in a better part of town tomorrow… someplace near a park and where I can get a cup of coffee without threat of being mugged. In either case, I’m sure I’ll never forget the time I’m spending here. Beyond the obvious reason, I’m getting more quality time with Katrina (8) and Isabelle (3) than ever. I have memories of traveling abroad with my Dad at Katrina’s age and I’m sure she’ll remember these weeks.

I’m looking now at a photo of the boy the orphanage has named Peter. He’s a Caucasian boy of three we think. No one knows much about him though. He was abandoned at the trolley station close to the orphanage about 15 months ago. The caregivers named him Peter and if we succeed in adopting him, we intend to name him Nicholas, a name we like for several reasons--not the least of which is our fondness for the aforementioned Nick Greiner.

That’s all for now… more after we’ve made our visit to the baby house and can find an Internet café to make this blog post.

2 comments:

Renata said...

So glad to know you got there safely!!! I hope you get the upgrade, especially since it´s going to be a long stay. You never know, there might be a Starbuck´s just around the corner :-) Please keep us posted, especially how it went at the baby house. How are the girls doing? Love you all. Courage!!!

maisko said...

Sounds like your having fun!
(he he)I hope you get an upgrade.
Love Sophie