Friday, April 13, 2007

13

Today is Friday, the 13th, always a lucky day for my hubby, beginning with birth on the 13th of Nov. 13, tho it's not always so lucky for me.

The day started pretty rough. First of all, Dad had another stroke yesterday and is in the hospital again, so that's what I awoke thinking about.

Second, my aunt has asked for a determination on "the ranch." As many of you know, about 3-4 years ago I saw a tv story of nun who basically died of loneliness after a life devoted to others. Mother Theresa said "Loneliness is the leprosy of the 20th century," and the 21st. Anyhow that story gave rise to an idea that I shared with Dad walking on the beach, and he thought it was great. He was really enthusiastic--Dad always had such a big heart. Ok, he sometimes had a big mouth, but when it concerned the needs of others, his heart was huge. I remember when Bernarda, Sophie's babysitter, had problems with her teeth. Dad paid $800 to have them fixed. And he was so glad to do it. Well, the idea was to give the ranch to the Catholic Church--part orphanage, part retirement home for elderly nuns. The very young and the very old in company together. Tia was so excited and had so many contacts in the Church. But as happens so often, the relationships turned sour and ruined the whole thing. Next thought was to work w/ Habitat for Humanity and SOS orphan homes. This time fear got in the way. Fear of losing the financial security that Tia has in that large tract of land. Really the disappointment of those two endeavors led to initial thoughts of adopting a child, the "each one, teach one" kind of thing. So, something good did come of it. But now revisiting the whole thing is quite emotional for me.

Third, oh shoot, I have to get going or I'll miss my NIA class at the Y--a dance, martial arts, groovy kind-a dance class that is so amazingly wonderful. I'll be a different person when I return, won't even remember what number three was! Hasta pronto, Steph

No comments: