Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Taking Musica to Another Level

This is the day I turned Nicky on to music. Sure, he’s had “musica” classes twice weekly since arriving at the orphanage more than a year ago. But the poor boy’s had limited exposure—mostly Russian polka I think. So when I woke up this morning and saw we had rain, I knew we’d be inside. I thought: This is the day. I left the girls at the apartment this morning… we couldn’t have any unnecessary distractions.

On the car ride over, I scrolled through my iPod, contemplating my options for indoctrinating the lad. Since he speaks nary a word of English, I wanted a largely instrumental piece. I toyed with Vivaldi for about 3 seconds, until arriving at Uncertain Smile by The The. Appropriately, I’m saving Dark Side of the Moon until the boy’s old enough to fully appreciate it. I think the pictures below capture the wistful wonderment that Matt Johnson was going for.

We went on to Travis and Ray LaMontagne before our visit was finished. I never let on the full import of the test Nicky was undergoing… saw no percentage in putting additional pressure on the boy. Needless to say, he passed. We have a keeper.



2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love the expressions on Nicky's face!!

Unknown said...

Great shot of Nicky! So glad he passed the test - but what happens if he starts liking Tori Amos? Is that an automatic DQ?